In a long distance relationship, one of the most important things to master is the Skype date. As often as you want to see your partner, the chances are you will be able to only a few times a year. We see each other on average every two or three months, and we consider ourselves to be relatively lucky to be in a position to be able to see each other that often. The rest of the time however, is spent communicating via internet messaging or Skype.
The Skype Date
But what separates simply Skyping from a Skype date? Honestly, not much. It’s pretty much the label you place on it. We tend to have Skype dates on Wednesdays and Saturdays, because, for the most part those are the days we are both available on. But the most important aspect of setting a Skype date is setting it advance and sticking to it. Treat it as you would a physical date – a time set aside to spend solely with your partner.
Learn to master the art of the Skype date.
Of course, then there is the issue of what to do on a Skype date, what will mark it as special among all the other times you will Skype. This one is a little trickier, and a simple Google search will give you plenty of inspiration. We have tried a number of different suggestions, some of which work for us, and some of which have not. Do not worry if not every date idea does not work for you, every relationship (and time difference) different.
So, without any further ado, here is the list of Skype dates that we have tried, have yet to try, and even those we probably will not try. Try making your own list, or cherry picking favourites from the ones below. A lot of these can be used multiple times, or even combined with others, but it probably is not a completely exhaustive list.
1) Cook the same meal together (Tried: can work very well if your timing is good)
2) Send each other recipes to cook (Tried: the hardest part of this will be trying to think of a recipe you are confident your partner will enjoy)
3) Watch TV/movies together: (Tried: good fun if you are into the same things, although be sure to use the sound from one of your computers only)
4) Make a Pinterest board together (Tried: always a winning idea)
5) Online couples quizzes (Tried: a good way to see how well you know your partner)
6) Ask each other questions (Tried: a great way to get to know your partner better)
7) Plan a holiday together (Tried: often you will find yourself doing this without even realising)
8) Go on a virtual tour together with Google maps (Tried: amusing for a one off)
9) Send each other a box & base your date on what is in the box (Not tried yet: we’re saving this one for a special occasion, but looking forward to it)
10) Watch each other fall asleep (Not tried: for the short time differences only)
11) Stargaze together (Not tried: again, short time differences only)
12) Have a picnic (Not tried: good luck getting the internet connection for Skype in a park)
Food is like the bread and butter of the Skype dating.
As I said before, this is not an exhaustive list of ideas, there are plenty more potential ideas, and don’t be limited by that. If you are creative enough to come up with your own, be sure to try those out too. But most importantly, so long as you set the time aside for each other, stick to your plans and enjoy each other’s company, you can’t go wrong. Happy Skyping!